Wednesday, January 6, 2010

MY FIRST AND SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW

As I thought of taking some rest after my seventh sem exam(although this was exactly what I was doing in exam holidays ), there came a company to recruit us- the so called engineers.The company was VEDANTHA associates having their bases in india, uk, australia and zambia. It was scheduled just a day after our exams. So I spent the next half day in thinking what to read. It was more brainstorming than the reading part itself. All that we read in three and a half yrs had to be read(rather scanned ) in a day. Was that possible?? But me being a highly optimistic person thought it is possible. The next quarter of the day was spent on preparing resume and my file.

Then I got into the business of reading. Luckily I had a book that consisted of the needed topics. Then after reducing my ’to read list’, by eliminating many topics that I thought was not important(moreso that was difficult ), I started reading. But as I went through few topics, time passed away within few moments. And as I don’t read during night after ten(Even for vtu exams I follow the same policy), I went to sleep with a promise to wake up early at four. Then as expected I could get out of my bed only at six. Then again reduced the list and went through the topics till eight. Then suddenly I realized that I had forgotten to read the aptitude part, which was the first step and later proved to be most important .But as usual I thought I can handle it, just to increase my confidence. This time I had more reasons to believe so. Bcz, In the week long holidays between exams, I had spent one day on aptitude. It was done to just forget something and to free my mind. That proved to be highly useful.

Later after getting prepared I went to college at nine and started filling the form provided to us. Then after the ppt we were given aptitude paper at ten forty five. I really don’t know whether it was easy or not . Somehow managed to attend thirty questions among the thirty five. It was for forty five min. At 1am they announced the names of 27 short listed candidates among around 150. My name did find a place there and next stage was GD. It went on smoothly and 24 candidates were shortlisted including me for the personal interview. This was a quite hard nutshell to crack.

This went on for about 25 min. It started with some general questions about my background, my hobbies………The interviewer seemed to be a highly knowlegble and a warm person. This made me comfortable. Then came the technical stuffs. A lot of questions were thrown at me, mainly regarding the applications of many engineering concepts. He never asked any law or definition and the like things. It made me happy as I hate memorizing those things. He enquired about my project and most of the remaining time was spent on that. He kept on asking why this? why not that? Whats the use of it? And such questions. I answered most of them and scratched my head for some questions and some of my answers were straight words-" honestly I don’t know anything about it,sir". He seemed to be satisfied and I got a feeling that Iam in. Then later selected candidates were announced and it was sweet to hear my name in that list. A total of fifteen were selected which was quite a good no. But unfortunately none of my close friends were selected.

We immediately got the offer letter. Pay was good and satisfying. But don’t know why, I was not much exited about my selection and it made no difference. The same sky was above me and the same path to traverse. Only difference was a already reserved seat for some part of the journey. Though my parents and brother were worried about the job place(It is most probably Orissa), I convinced them I would be comfortable there. Actually I like to see new places and new things. The job profile made me happier as it was a core mechanical. But the saddening part is that, one of my best friend who is in other college also got selected to same company the very next day. Dam, he gonna disturb me there too. He.. he..

Now Iam confused what to do in this holidays. Had planned to get prepared for placements. But the seemingly long battle was won within a single day. Me and my friend(now also colleague) are waiting for our other friends to join us in finding new means for time pass. Finally. I conclude this with a strong hope that one day I would be placed in my life too . .

4 comments:

Abhishek said...

The interviewer was "warm"!!!
wat do u mean??

prashanth said...

It just means he was friendly .....

Hemanth said...

Very nice post :). Congrats buddy :)

prashanth said...

thanks dude.