Wednesday, October 29, 2008

UNFORGETTABLE DAYS IN MALGUDI


You may be wondering there’s no such place called Malgudi. But this is an imaginary place create by our own Mysorean legend R.K Narayan, I wonder how many Indians know him leave alone remembering him. Though I have not read any of his books I have seen two of his master pieces in the form of a movie and a tv serial. The movie is “The Guide” which made Dev Anand an instant HIT!, and the tv serial is “MALGUDI DAYS”

This serial used to be telecasted every week in the public broadcaster ‘Doordashan’, I was very young to understand it then, more over I didn’t know hindi too. Nevertheless I knew it was a good program, and for years I had completely forgotten the show. Few years back when I was in my high school there was add which said that the Malgudi Days will be re-telecasted in Sony entertainment channel, it didn’t really excite me at all.

But a few weeks later I was adherent fan of this amazing tv show. I felt the characters such as Sheshadri(played superbly by Anath Nag) , Swami(played equally well by master Manjunath) , Rajam and his friends are very close to my heart. The music played with flute while showing credits was amazing. I still remember one Sunday there was a power cut in our place so I went to my friends house which was at quite a distance from our place to watch Malgudi Days and to my utter disapiontment there was no power there too. I really have no words to describe this show its been my favorite show so far and it will remain so forever. The thing I like most about it is they created an imaginary town called Malgudi with Malgudi police station, Malgudi post office and even a newspaper called Malgudi times!!! Some of the episodes wherein Sheshadri gets a road roller as a price!! Or an earthquake in Malgudi are just unforgettable.

Hats off to the director Shankar nag, who isn’t with us anymore for pioneering one of the cornerstones in Indian television history. Now when I think about it I feel proud to have watched it and I feel even more ecstatic that it has been written, directed and acted by Kannadigas. Hope I would get another chance of reliving Malgudi,... Days which I spent in Malgudi are, as I said “Unforgettable”.


3 comments:

Abhishek said...

sorry frnds some portion is missing in this blog, care would be taken it wont happen next time.....

Mohan said...

Dude, I've read R.K.Narayan's work, some of them but not all... He has an amazing narration style, very simple and subtle... Good to read; and Malgudi is the creation of a genius, no second thought about it!!!

Bhavisha Joshi said...

Hey

I am too a bigggg fan of "Malgudi days... He brought a very realistic story from every one of our life..

Just few days back i watched one the episode coming on 9x tv..

Thanks you wrote such amazing piece that i relate too and its very close to my heart..

Thanks